DANCE COMPANY DISCLOSURE/SYLLABUS
ADVANCED PERFORMING CLASS
1ST TERM AUGUST 22-OCTOBER 26
2NDTERM OCTOBER 27-JANUARY 10
3rd TERM JANUARY 11-MARCH 16
4TH TERM MARCH 17-MAY 26
Instructor: Chelsea Budge
Overview: Westlake’s High School Dance Company class is an advanced rehearsal and performing dance class. Students will have many opportunities to choreograph, audition and perform.
Dance Company/Workshops Performances:
- Welcome Back Assembly 8/25
- Homecoming Halftime: September 8, 5pm.
- Night of Shakespeare: September 25. 5pm.
- Shakespeare Competition: September 28-30
- Regional Dance Concert October 10.
- Alpine District Concert Oct. 25
- Nov. UVU Day TBD
- Basketball Halftimes: TBD
- Winter Concert: Tech/Dress 11/28-29 230-5pm, Show 11/20 5pm.
- Dec. 1 CJ/PJ Christmas Jars Assembly
- Vista/Fontier TBD
- Performing Arts Assembly December 19
- March State Festival TBD
- March 13-20 NYC TOUR Dates TBD
- Spring Dance Company Concert: April 24-25. Lighting/Spacing/Dress Rehearsal 4/21-23.
- Vista/Frontier TBD
- Banquet TBD
Dance Class Rules
Be on time everyday.
Wear appropriate attire, including hair tied back.
Demonstrate RESPECT to Educator, Other Students and SELF.
No Gum, big jewelry.
Stay in Dance Room at all times.
No Food in Dance Room.
No cell phones or electronic devices in Dance Room.
DANCE CLASS GRADING:
65% Daily attendance, class participation, self-evaluations, assessments, tests/quizzes
Each day every student will be given 100 points
- 40 for lateness
- 60 for not dressed properly/non participation/disrespect
0 points for absence (Student most notify Ms. Budge BEFOREHAND if absence is school excused)
*Students who have a Doctor’s note will be required to take notes. There will be no sitting and watching without a Doctor’s note. Students must always do their best to participate. Any student who is unable to dance for more than three dance classes will need to speak to a counselor to find a more suitable class.
94%- A 84%- B 72%- C- 60%- F
90%- A- 82%- B- 70%- D+
86%- B+ 78%- C+ 62%- D-
ATTENDANCE, TARDY AND MAKE-UP POLICY:
The award of credit in this class is subject to the Westlake Attendance policy. Students must make-up any absences that cause a NC through attendance school.
As the Westlake Attendance policy states, “Attendance is the measure of one’s commitment.” Because of the nature of performing arts classes where most, if not all, the work is done during the class rehearsal, daily attendance is vital. What is done during class rehearsal cannot be replicated on an individual basis. Each student’s presence and contribution is extremely important to the ensemble during rehearsals and performances.
Attendance: Appointments, vacations, and other activities should be scheduled around class time and performances. Please make sure you have checked the calendar for performance. Student must contact Ms. Budge beforehand to excuse an absence a minimum of 2 weeks in advance prior to absence. All performance practices are required. Over 3 tardies will result in dismissal from the Company. If a student is over 5 minutes late a mile must be ran upon arrival. Ms. Budge reserves the right to remove any dancer from choreography due to tardy/absence.
MAKE UP WORK
Students are allowed to make up (2) absences. Make up assignments are as follows:
1. Write a one page paper (typed) describing your experience and progress in this class. Turn in a hard copy. Do not email!
2. Attend a dance concert and write a one page paper (typed) describing what we do in class and how it relates to what you see on stage. Staple concert ticket or program to paper. Turn in a hard copy. Do not email!
3. Take an outside of school dance class and write a one page paper describing your experience. Include teachers name, style of dance, time/date and location. Turn in a hard copy. Do not email!
4. Watch two contrasting dance performances on youtube and compare/contrast costumes, staging, time/space/energy/meaning, relate to what you have learned in class. Minimum 1 page Turn in a hard copy. Do not email!
Student and Parent must go to class website and SIGN and SUBMIT syllabus and grading procedure by FRIDAY SEP. 1 2017.