BEGINNING DANCE TECHNIQUE DISCLOSURE/SYLLABUS
Instructor: Chelsea Budge
Overview: Dance 1 is a beginning level artistic dance class. Students in Dance 1 will develop a foundation in the skills of technique, strength, flexibility, alignment, endurance, coordination and performance qualities (focus, confidence, artistic intent). They will have the opportunity to explore various genres of movement as well as incorporate the elements of dance (time, space, energy and meaning) to create their own movement vocabulary.
Dance Class Performance Experience
All Westlake High School dance students are required to participate in a performance experience.
- Dress Rehearsal: DECEMBER 4-5 230-430PM
- Performance: THURSDAY DEC. 6 7:00PM (Call Time 6pm).
Dance Class Rules
Be on time everyday.
Wear appropriate attire, including hair tied back.
Demonstrate RESPECT to Educator, Other Students and SELF.
No Gum, big jewelry.
Stay in Dance Room at all times.
No Food in Dance Room.
No cell phones or electronic devices in Dance Room.
Required Materials: Black Dance Clothes
DANCE CLASS GRADING:
65% Daily attendance, class participation, self-evaluations, assessments, tests/quizzes
Each day every student will be given 100 points
- 40 for lateness
- 60 for not dressed properly/non participation/disrespect
0 points for absence (Student most notify Ms. Budge BEFOREHAND if absence is school excused)
*Students who have a Doctor’s note will be required to take notes. There will be no sitting and watching without a Doctor’s note. Students must always do their best to participate. Any student who is unable to dance for more than three dance classes will need to speak to a counselor to find a more suitable class.
94%- A 84%- B 72%- C- 60%- F
90%- A- 82%- B- 70%- D+
86%- B+ 78%- C+ 62%- D-
DANCE CLASS PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE: If the student is not participating fully or has excessive absences they will be asked not to perform in the Dance Concert and will be required to do a 7-page research paper on a famous choreographer to make up points. Performing is a wonderful opportunity to grow in confidence, technical skill and artistry.
ATTENDANCE, TARDY AND MAKE-UP POLICY: The award of credit in this class is subject to the Westlake Attendance policy. Students must make-up any absences that cause a NC through attendance school. As the Westlake Attendance policy states, “Attendance is the measure of one’s commitment.” Because of the nature of performing arts classes where most, if not all, the work is done during the class rehearsal, daily attendance is vital. What is done during class rehearsal cannot be replicated on an individual basis. Each student’s presence and contribution is extremely important to the ensemble during rehearsals and performances. Appointments, vacations, and other activities should be scheduled around class time and performances.
MAKE UP WORK
Students are allowed to make up (2) absences. Make up assignments are as follows:
1. Write a one page paper (typed) describing your experience and progress in this class. Turn in a hard copy. Do not email!
2. Attend a dance concert and write a one page paper (typed) describing what we do in class and how it relates to what you see on stage. Staple concert ticket or program to paper. Turn in a hard copy. Do not email!
3. Take an outside of school dance class and write a one page paper describing your experience. Include teachers name, style of dance, time/date and location. Turn in a hard copy. Do not email!
4. Watch two contrasting dance performances on youtube and compare/contrast costumes, staging, time/space/energy/meaning, relate to what you have learned in class. Minimum 1 page Turn in a hard copy. Do not email!
UNIT 1: BODY
Ballet, Jazz, Modern
Leaps, Turns, Kicks
UNIT 2-4: TIME, SPACE, ENERGY
Explore elements of Dance
UNIT 5: WINTER CONCERT CHOREOGRAPHY
Final Performance Participation and Evaluation
*This document is subject to change
Student and Parent must go to class website and SIGN and SUBMIT syllabus and grading procedure by Friday Sep. 7, 2018.